Chapel Off Chapel again. Jex on piano, Julien Wilson on tenor sax, Johnathon Zwartz on bass, Niko Schauble on drums.
Such a pleasure to hear Jonathon. Last time I heard him was at a gig with Tina Harrod singing and Hamish Stuart on drums and Matt McMahon on keyboard at a pub in Sydney. His CD The Sea is a beautiful thing.
Jex has a smiling way about him. I asked him if there was anything he wanted me to say during the introduction. "Whatever you want" was his reply. So that's what I did. It's easier tonight than it was last night. I aksed the lighting guy to adjust the light so that I could see something other than glare and the front half of the microphone... and I guess that announcements get easier with practicse.
And then the music. This was music that made you want to look up to the sky.
I think that's why the song titles are all mashed on my page, except the third one, 5 19 (it's harder to mash numbers)
Things I noticed, while looking skywards:
- Niko's extraordinarly large and floppy cymbal. It's spectacular to watch - like a big jelly fish.
- The softening interplay between Jex on piano and Julien's sax on the first song.
- The solo by Julien in the second song
- Jonathon's introduction (wow!) to 5 19
- The joke that Jonathon and Jex were sharing in the fourth song (what was it!?)
- Julien's whistling saxophone in the last song.
DID YOU KNOW That if you take a cup of raspberry tea half way through a glass of 'okay' shiraz and then go back to the shiraz, it's suddenly better. A strange but effective way to improve a glass of wine. Highly recommended!
Thanks to Roger Mitchell for pictures again.